As UNAM, we are conducting cutting-edge R&D and innovative P&D projects in the fields of nanoscience, biotechnology, and material sciences. Our aims are to generate quality scientific knowledge, train qualified R&D workforce through university-industry cooperation, encourage the commercialization of advanced technologies and above all to create benefit for the humanity.
– Bilkent University UNAM was established in 2007 as a National Laboratory in Bilkent to develop international scientific and technological excellence in disciplines such as material sciences and engineering, electrical and electronic engineering, mechanical engineering, physics, chemistry, molecular biology, under the umbrella of nanoscience and nanotechnology. Later, it became one of the first four National Research Centers in Turkey, receiving qualification on August 16, 2017, within the scope of the Law No. 6550 on the Support of Research Infrastructures.
– Bilkent University UNAM provides a vibrant transdisciplinary ecosystem with a distinguished academic staff (53 academic staff), its advanced research infrastructure (over 400 instruments) that supports the ‘open lab’ concept, and 421 researchers and staff to carry out scientific studies at the highest level on an area of 10,464 m2. The success of UNAM academic staff has been certified with funding programs such as ERC (European Research Council), EMBO (European Molecular Biology Organization) and NIH (United States National Institute of Health), national academic memberships and 153 awards, 78 of which are national and 75 international.
– As a metric of quality, 291 articles were published in Nature Indexed journals from Bilkent University UNAM. UNAM, which has the most articles published in these journals in Turkey so far as a “national lab”, owns 7.2% of all publications.
– Bilkent UNAM, which was selected for a special large-scale program within the scope of the Law No. 6550 on the Support of Research Infrastructures, develops its own research structure with a budget of more than 100 million TL. With this support, Bilkent UNAM serves as a national lab to over 1500 users with 116 universities from the academy and 112 companies from the industry.
– Nevertheless, UNAM has contributed to the commercialization of many high-tech products with the birth of 23 sprout companies and a total of 110 patent registrations, 48 of which are national and 62 international. While managing 272 R&D projects with its intensive and successful R&D program so far, thanks to the Bilkent University Materials Science and Nanotechnology (MSN) Graduate Program within UNAM, 541 thesis studies were completed, and 259 graduate and doctoral students were graduated with the aim of training highly qualified researchers. Today, Bilkent UNAM graduates are the scientists sought in R&D studies.
– Materials Science and Nanotechnology (MSN) Graduate Program is particularly suitable for students who are graduates of Materials Science and Engineering, Physics, Chemistry, Biology, Molecular Biology and Genetics, Electrical and Electric and Electronics Engineering, Mechanical Engineering and want to pursue careers in nanoscience and nanotechnology.
– At UNAM, with our focus on SCIENCE, SOCIAL BENEFIT, INNOVATION and our “national lab” identity, we work to produce new development, added value, qualified workforce and international level of knowledge and technology that will be beneficial to the world and humanity.