– SERVICES INCLUDE:
Shopping: If you wish, the Housing Office employee responsible for your building can help you with your basic shopping needs every day (once a day) before 9:30 a.m. You can put a note on your door to request standard items such as newspapers, milk, bread, etc. Please remember to keep your shopping requests to a minimum.
Garbage collection: Your garbage will be collected four times a day, at 9:00 a.m., 1:00 p.m., 4:00 p.m. and 6:00 p.m., on weekdays, and two times a day, at 9:30 a.m. and 3:30 p.m., on weekends and holidays. Place your garbage in front of your door in a plastic bag at the stated hours. Do not put sharp objects or liquids into the bags. Also, try to prepare separate bags for recyclable items, such as glass, plastic, paper and metal.
Maintenance and repair: All maintenance and repair requests are to be made to the Housing Office. Someone should be present in the apartment during repair work; however, if the problem needs to be fixed immediately, you can also give permission (in writing or by phone) to the Housing Office staff so that work can begin while you are out. Maintenance is free of charge but the cost of repairing or replacing of damaged items will be billed to you. Please do not make direct payments to the University personnel who do maintenance work (carpentry, plumbing, cabinet repairs, light bulb changes, etc.) in your residence. All maintenance charges will be included in your monthly bill prepared by the Housing Office.
Maintenance regulations: Residents are cautioned not to make any modifications (structural, electrical, etc.) or attempt any remodeling of their residence without consulting the Housing Office manager. If you think that your apartment needs improvements, such as repainting or new carpeting, flooring, furniture, kitchen cupboards, bathroom tiles, electrical appliances or curtains, please contact the Housing Office, as they can arrange for the provision of such items and services, with the University contributing 50 percent of the total cost. Please note that the Housing Office will make the final decision regarding the quality of the new/replacement item according to certain standards.
Laundry Rooms: Some of the faculty housing buildings have conveniently located laundry facilities available free of charge. Please inform Housing Office personnel if you have any problems with the appliances.
Laundry Room Regulations:
1. Please do not leave your clothes or other personal belongings unattended.
2. Please use the correct amount of detergent and do not overload the machines; too much detergent or overloading causes the machines to malfunction.
3. Please do not wash bedding or any other items used by pets in washing machines shared with other residents.
4. Please remove any lint from the drier after each use.
Drinking water: Bottled water is delivered on Tuesday mornings to Main Campus and buildings 79-80, Thursday mornings to Buildings 101-106 and Friday mornings to East Campus. Containers and payment should be placed in front of your apartment door before 8:00 a.m. At the time of publication, a 19-litre bottle of water cost 4 TL. To order bottled water at times other than those stated above (except Sundays), you can call 480 0605 or 0506 397 4165.
Mail: Mail is delivered to your mailbox every day between 4:00 p.m. and 5:00 p.m.
Bottled gas (for cooking): Requests for the replacement of bottled gas should be made to the Housing Office during office hours at 266 4388 or ext. 1400 or 1551. After 5:30 p.m. and on weekends, you should call the extension numbers provided below. Please note that the personnel on duty at these times do not speak English. At the time of publication, a bottle of gas cost 63 TL. A bottle of gas generally lasts from two to four months, depending on the amount of cooking you do. If you run out of gas at a time other than the hours specified above, small electric cookers can be provided.
Main Campus: ext. 1234, 1700, and 1701
East Campus: ext. 5093
Middle Campus: ext. 8440
The employment of domestic help is very common in Turkey. Please inquire at the Housing Office to arrange for someone to help with housework or babysitting. Such help can be scheduled on a daily, weekly or monthly basis according to your needs. You may also find a sitter by advertising in the Bilkent News or on BilTrader at http://goto.bilkent.edu.tr/trader/.
– TELEPHONE AND SATELLITE/CABLE TV SERVICE
Telephone: University extension telephones can be connected in apartments upon request. To arrange for full-service local, national and international telephone service in your apartment, you should contact your department. Please note that you can have telephone charges deducted from your salary if your phone is connected for outside calls through the Bilkent Computer Center. You can also have a private phone line in your apartment. In order to have a private phone line connected, please follow this procedure:
To subscribe, please go to the Bahçelievler Türk Telekom office and fill out an application form in person. (Address: Bahçelieveler, 3. Street, No: 32, and Ümitköy 8. Street, No: 63). The Bilkent shuttle bus stop nearest to Bahçelieveler is at the National Library.
Bring your passport (original and one copy) and residence permit (original and one copy) with you.
At the time of publication, the connection fee was 7. 5 TL. This fee will appear on your first bill.
You can pay your phone bill at the banks listed on the invoice or at Türk Telekom offices. For your convenience, you might want to choose the automatic payment option, with the amount drawn directly from your bank account.
If you have any problems, call 121. Please note that most personnel do not speak English. You are advised to make these calls with the help of a native speaker.
To have your line disconnected, please go to the same office with the documents listed above. If you would like someone else to request that your phone line be disconnected, notarized authorization is needed.
Local and Long-Distance Calls:
For local calls: Dial the seven-digit number. Please note that if you have a phone number starting with ‘290’ you should dial ‘9’ if you are making a call to a number that does not start with ‘290.’ (However, to call within the University, you do not have to dial ‘290’ but only the last four digits of the number.)
For long distance calls within Turkey: Dial the area code and then the seven-digit number.
For international calls: Dial 00 + country code + area code + number.
Satellite/Cable TV Connections
Digiturk Satellite Connection:
- To subscribe to Digiturk, call 397 2424 and state that you would like to have a Digiturk connection in your apartment. You will be asked to give your name and contact information. Most representatives speak English.
- Digiturk personnel will then come to install the satellite dish. Please ask the technician to consult with the Housing Office regarding placement of the dish.
- At the time of publication, the installation fee was 40 TL. The fee is to be paid on the day your connection is installed.
- You can make your regular monthly payments to any bank other than Akbank. Note that late payments can be made only to Yapi Kredi Bank.
- In case of problems, call 397 2424.
- There are several packages to choose from, with varying prices. You can learn more details about the packages available at www.digiturk.com.tr.
- To have your service disconnected, please call 397 2424 or 0212 473 7373 and state that you would like to cancel your contract.
- Please be sure to return any equipment provided by Digiturk after cancellation.
D-Smart Satellite Connection:
- To subscribe to D-Smart, call 240 7167 or visit the D-Smart office closest to the Bilkent area, which is located in the Konutkent 1. Çarşı (shopping center), No: 32, Çayyolu. A native speaker should accompany you.
- D-Smart personnel will then come to install the satellite dish. Please ask the technician to consult with the Housing Office regarding placement of the dish.
- At the time of publication, the installation fee was 40 TL. The fee is to be paid on the day your connection is installed. If you prefer to make monthly payments, you must subscribe for 24 months. However, if you make a payment of 339 TL, you can sign a 12-month contract for a basic package. For further information on subscription details and packages to choose from, please check www.D-Smart.com.tr.
- If you choose to pay on a monthly basis, you can make your regular payments at any bank or arrange with your bank for automatic payment.
- In case of problems, call 240 7167 or 444 5565
- To have your service disconnected, please call 240 7167 or 444 5565, and have a native speaker make your cancelation request.
- Please be sure to return any equipment provided by D-Smart after cancellation.
Cable TV Connection:
Residents who live in buildings 1-46 can obtain a cable TV connection.
- To subscribe, go to the Bahçelievler Türk Telekom office (3. Street, No: 32) or call 444 0 126.
- You must bring your passport (original and one copy) and residence permit (original and one copy) with you.
- At the time of publication, the connection fee was 43 TL. This fee is included in the first invoice. Please note that these charges change frequently.
- The monthly payment is 7 TL. Payments can be made at the banks listed on your invoice.
- For problems, call 126 and leave a message. Please note that most personnel do not speak English. You are advised to make these calls with the help of a native speaker.
- To have your line disconnected, please go to the Bahçelievler Türk Telekom office with the documents listed above. If you would like someone else to request that your cable service be disconnected, notarized authorization is needed.
– INTERNET CONNECTION in UNIVERSITY HOUSES
All faculty apartments are wired for high-speed network connections. In some buildings (79, 80, and Middle and East Campus housing) dynamic IP addresses are used, and users must log on to the network using their BAIS IDs and passwords. In other faculty housing apartments, static IP addresses are used. IP addresses and related information are provided on a sheet that may be found in each apartment where a static IP address is used. IP addresses can also be obtained from the Housing Office. In case you have difficulty accessing the network in your apartment, please contact either the Bilkent Computer Center or the Housing Office.
For more information on connecting to the Internet in University housing, please see http://lists.bilkent.edu.tr/LojNet/